Tuesday, November 22, 2011

NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957)


Wow. This movie…just wow. NIGHT OF THE DEMON is about this British sorcerer guy Dr. Julian Karswell, who starts off the movie by offing someone who threatens to expose his Satanic cult. Karswell had passed a small parchment with runes inscribed on it to the guy, and it disintegrated after 3 days. This seals the guy's fate and a huge demon materializes and kills him. Shortly after, a skeptic from the US of A shows up to prove Karswell a fraud, and Karswell doesn't take well to this. Karswell passes another rune-filled parchment to the American asshole (and hey, WAY TO GO in representing us over here, douchenozzle!), and a tense story of investigation sets itself into motion.

I don't want to say too much about this movie because it's just WAY TOO GOOD to spoil. It had me bouncing around the room the entire time. It's just that suspenseful and scary. It's not that much of a spoiler to say this, but the demon that does show up is a little awkward-looking in close-up, and the story goes that director Jacques Tourneur was VERY against it being shown on-screen, and that you should never really know if the demon was real or not. But man, when the demon materializes from out of nowhere, it scares the living hell out of me. I've got this thing about giant monsters – the thought of seeing them suddenly looming over the horizon freaks me out when I think about it too hard. Sometimes, riding in the car, I'll imagine Godzilla or something suddenly popping his head up from behind a mountain or something, and it seriously gives me the willies. And seeing this giant demon pull itself into existence on this plane just freaks me right out.

I can't recommend this movie more. It's just amazing. The acting is all top-notch, the atmosphere is heavy as can be, the script is really, really smart, and the ending packs a huge jolt. They don't make movies like this anymore, and I guess we just lucked out that they made this one THEN. Crazy, crazy, crazy good.

No comments:

Post a Comment